What causes foot odor? Sweat is one part of it, but the real culprit is germs which cause infections. They might not hurt or itch! But over time, they can get worse, and they will stay stinky until you deal with them. Keeping the skin on your feet free from infections can be a tough task. Follow these simple steps to avoid fungal and bacterial infections that cause foot odour:
1. Always wear flip-flop sandals inside gym showers, changing rooms, around swimming pools, nail salons and reflexology places.
2. Never share shoes and sandals.
3. Wash your feet thoroughly with soap and water upon exiting a swimming pool and dry them meticulously. Children should especially do so.
4. Shoes that are regularly worn for many hours during the day should be dried out in direct sunlight weekly.
5. Ensure that your nail salon uses sterile instruments or take your own.
While prevention is better than cure, if you do notice something suspicious developing on the skin or nails of your feet consult one of our podiatrists to get it treated as soon as possible.